What to expect from counselling
- We provide a safe and comfortable counselling environment to enable you to discuss issues of concern.
- You will be respected, understood and accepted without judgement.
- Counsellors work with their clients in partnership and do not make decisions, or provide advice.
- You will be given information, also called psycho-education, to inform you and help you to make decisions.
- Don’t be concerned if you talk more than your counsellor in the session- they are listening.
- Everyone is different. What your friend may have experienced in counselling will be different for you.
Evidenced Based Therapies
During counselling sessions, we will use a range of evidenced-based therapeutic approaches. You may be familiar with some of these:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Person-centred therapy
- Solution Focussed Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Relaxation strategies
Learning from Counselling
- You will learn to open up and talk about your problems.
- The counsellor and client relationship is very important and is based on trust.
- You can develop a new perspective about your issues.
- Learn how to improve your well being
- Learn how to make positive changes in your life
- How to improve your self-esteem and confidence
- Develop practical strategies to manage your issues and live a meaningful life.
Our Core Values
We aim to:
- Instil hope and optimism in each client
- Provide a client-centred approach to therapy
- Show a positive regard to all clients
- Empathising and listening deeply to the client
- Maintaining client confidentiality (except when the limits of confidentiality are exceeded)
- Be culturally aware
- Be an LGBTIQ+ ally
- Working ethically and following the Code of Ethics of the Australian Counselling Association
- Participating in on-going professional development and regular supervision