What can I expect from a counselling session?
- We provide a safe, private and comfortable counselling space to enable you to discuss your issues of concern.
- You will be respected, listened to and accepted without judgement.
- Counsellors work with their clients in partnership and do not make decisions, or provide advice.
- You will be given information, also called psycho-education, to inform you and help you to make decisions.
- The counsellor will suggest strategies to help you cope, or manage your issue, or problem.
- You may be given some tasks or ‘homework’ to do between counselling sessions, such as writing down some of your thoughts.
- Don’t be concerned if you talk more than your counsellor in the session- they are listening.
- Everyone is different. What your friend may have experienced in counselling will be different for you.
Evidenced Based Therapies
Counsellors use a range of research-based therapeutic approaches to help our clients manage their problems. You may be familiar with some of these:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Person-centred therapy
- Solution Focussed Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Relaxation strategies
Learning from Counselling
- We will help you to open up and talk about your problems.
- Trust and honesty is a vital part of the counsellor and client relationship.
- Learn to see your problems from a new perspective.
- Learn how to improve your well being
- Start to make or plan positive changes in your life
- Take steps to improve your self-esteem and confidence
- Use practical strategies to manage your issues and live a meaningful life.
Our Core Values
At Listen and Care Counselling we aim to:
- Provide a client-centred approach to therapy
- Show a positive regard to all clients
- Be empathic and listen deeply to our client’s story
- Maintain client confidentiality (except when the limits of confidentiality are exceeded)
- Be culturally aware
- Be an LGBTIQA+ ally
- Working ethically
- Instil hope and optimism in each client
- Follow the Code of Ethics of the Australian Counselling Association
- Participating in on-going professional development and regular supervision