WHAT CAN I EXPECT IN A COUNSELLING SESSION
- Listen and Care Counselling provides a safe, private and comfortable counselling room to enable you to discuss your issues of concern.
- You will be respected, listened to and accepted without judgement.
- The counsellor works in partnership with you, the client, to help you work through your issues.
- Counsellors do not make decisions for clients, or provide advice.
- The counsellor will provide information, called psycho-education, to inform you and help you to make decisions.
- Your counsellor will suggest suitable strategies to help you cope, or manage your issue, or problem.
- You may be given some tasks or ‘homework’ to do between counselling sessions, such as practising the strategies developed in counselling.
- Everyone is different. What your friend may have experienced in counselling will be different for you.
At Listen and Care Counselling, we use a range of research and evidence-based counselling therapies. We will help you to use strategies to manage, or find a solution to your problems. You may be familiar with some of these therapies:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Person-centred therapy
- Solution Focussed Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Relaxation strategies
- EMDR Therapy (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing)
- CBT-E (Eating Disorders)
WHAT WILL I LEARN FROM COUNSELLING?
- To open up and talk about my problems.
- Learn more about myself, including my values and become more self-aware
- Trust and honesty is a vital part of the counsellor and client relationship.
- Learn to see my problems from a new perspective.
- Learn how to improve my well being
- How to start to make positive changes in my life
- How to improve my self-esteem and confidence
- How to use practical strategies to manage my issues and live a meaningful life.
OUR CORE VALUES
At Listen and Care Counselling we:
- Provide a client-centred approach to therapy
- Show a positive regard to all clients
- Are empathic and listen deeply to our client’s story
- Maintain client confidentiality (except when the limits of confidentiality are exceeded)
- Are culturally aware and culturally sensitive
- Are an LGBTIQA+ ally
- Work ethically
- Aim to instil hope and optimism in each client
- Follow the Code of Ethics of the Australian Counselling Association
- Participate in on-going professional development and regular supervision